Friday, March 27, 2009

Beauty in Design

When I'm working on a problem, I never think about beauty. I think only how to solve the problem. But when I have finished, if the solution is not beautiful, I know it is wrong.
- R. Buckminster Fuller


This is actually true. I have noticed that finding a design flaw can sometimes be as easy as stepping back from it and looking for the irregular form. Somehow, clean solutions tend to feel balanced and beautiful.

Last night I dreamt that I was being put on some new projects at work (which is what has been happening all week in real life). I enjoy working on different things, so I've enjoyed the challenges. So, in this dream I am told that the names of the two new projects are "Karaoke Cake" and "Vomit: On-hand". These are just totally ridiculous, and I can't imagine where my mind dug these up from. I do enjoy the double meaning of "Vomit: On-hand". I just had to write those down so I can look back and laugh.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails